art

art
art is life

Monday, February 28, 2011

an sms story56




 Anna took in the shape of  perfectly round 'indian' pizza.
 cheese, sauce and lots of paneer cubes thrown in.the knife
 and the fork. pick out the paneers, they mar the taste.
 cut the slices in smaller triangles and chew.she has never been
 able to finish off more than a half of the pizza, though she always
 opted for the smaller version.indian pizza.because of the
 paneers? or the sauce, not adhering to italian or mexican
 standard? a wholly indian amalgamation? why 'indian'?
..."on that road between China and India, perhaps I could
 find a history that belonged to me, a past and a present.
 What was true? What was false? And what did it have to
 do with me? Is not history one woman's truth-as she
 chooses to tell it?" o darling Mishi, did the same demons
 chase you as you hitchhiked across the silk road?

 PAGE 69: "why was the past bubbling up now of all times?
 I felt tears gather as I looked out of the window, tears for M.,
 a man I knew a decade ago. It had been intense and wholehearted
 between us...I never forgot that... I still  mourned the death of this youthful love.
 Or perhaps this is what the desert did, uncovered things I had thought long-vanished."
 no desert had to uncover it for Anna.she was a desert.
 "Can one mourn for a decade without not knowing? All those years
 ago, I didn't think M. had loved me at all. But now I saw that he had.
 It was I who couldn't believe it at the time. I needed so many tokens.
 It was a failure of imagination. And  of  faith."...Anna has drafted Mishi's words
 in her mobile...when she took up the copy of 'Chasing the Monk's Shadow'
 she had hoped for oblivion. to find shelter in the smoky opiate that history
 was to her.Mishi had it all...Stein, Ulighur, the Monk, Kumarajeeva, Kucha
.....came the desert and Mishi's pain reverberated within the empty walls
 of Anna's mind. TEN years! what pervert joke was this? of providence?

Anna remembered the hollywood-movie she was watching
the evening before. Enemy of the State. the woman answers
to the hero that she had no life because she was in love with a
married man...and there was law department. anguish! Anna
could have been a queen. she was begging for Love from life now.
no trembling fingers, no beating heart as she pressed the 'send'
button...


Anna:Time passes...even
         when each tick of
         the second hand
         aches like the pulse
         of blood behind a
         bruise...but pass it does-new moon
she has decided to send one message a day till he answers. would Armaan
ever know that each morning she wakes up, takes a look at the mobile and
says to herself, in muted, hushed tone...rose pink, pink rose, bring me a happy
day.
      (to be contd.)







No comments:

Post a Comment